Monday, February 7, 2011

Dinner

Sometimes I have to share something that was good. I found boneless pork loin on sale last week so I bought one. I usually slow cook them in the crock pot with dry onion soup mix and water. Turns out great. I always shop at Save-A-Lot and my store carries a lot of the Goya products. We get the flan for my grandfather because he loves egg custard and this is as close to what my grandmother used to make. I have been eyeing a marinade for weeks. I go in there several times a week to pick up milk, bread or some last minute item we are out of. We have a small store so I love our store. I can get in and out yet still get good quality products too. Oh, back to my marinade. It is the Goya Mojo Criollo. It really interested me because of the word mojo, sounds like mojito and I like a mojito every once in a blue moon. I finally broke down and bought it. It was around $3, it was not the price holding me back but the wondering if it was sweet and if it was salty or not. I took my pork loin and marinated it over night in the Mojo Criollo. I used 3/4 of the bottle to cover the loin 3/4 of the way fat side up and poked the loin with my fork to let the marinade seep in on the other side. This morning we drained off over half the marinade then placed it in the crockpot for 8 hours. Oh my , it was delicious. It was fork tender and just enough flavor to be good but not overpowering. I am now plotting in my mind how it would taste over chicken. If your store has this , you have to try it. I did learn that Mojo Criollo is a cuban marinade. Needless to say, it will be on my shopping list again.

My other latest food venture is roasted vegetables. This evening I roasted peeled eggplant. I sliced it about 1/4" thick but did not chunk it. When I chunk it , it has a tendency to reduce to nothing. I also bought the precut butternut squash and some cauliflower. I take a little garlic, olive oil, Mrs. Dash and Molly McButter. It was delicious too. I cooked it all in the same pan on 400 for about 30 minutes.

See, I am trying to eat healthier. I accompanied all this with Mrs. Miller's Amish Spinach noodles.

Yummy!

http://www.goya.com/english/product_subcategory/Regional-Specialties/Caribbean

No comments: