Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day is Done...

The dreadful day came, the dreadful day went. Most things went well and as planned except the musical tribute to my grandparents. The song by Collin Raye , "Love, Me" just would not play. I was so disappointed. My grandparents eloped 72.5 years ago and this song was perfect. If I had thought ahead I would have had the lyrics ready. Here are the lyrics:

I read a note my Grandma wrote back in 1923 Grandpa kept it in his coat,
and he showed it once to me He said, "Boy, you might not understand,
but a long, long time ago, Grandma's daddy didn't like me none, but I
love your Grandma so. We had this crazy plan to meet and run away
together Get married in the first town we came to and live forever But
nailed to the tree where we were supposed to meet instead I found
this letter, and this is what it said :
"If you get there before I do Don't give up on me I'll meet you when my chores are through I don't know how long I'll be But I'm not gonna let you down Darling wait and see And between now and then Til I see you again I'll be loving you Love, Me."
I read those words just hours before my Grandma passed away In the doorway of the church where me and Grandpa stopped to pray I know I've never seen him cry in all my fifteen years But as he said these words to her, his eyes fill up with tears
"If you get there before I do Don't give up on me I'll meet you when my chores are through I don't know how long I'll be But I'm not gonna let you down Darling wait and see And between now and then Til I see you again I'll be loving you Love, Me."

My mom and I went back to the cemetery later to collect the ribbons on the flower arrangements. I thought this area of the cemetery was familiar but it is a big cemetery so I could be wrong. I took 20 steps over and found my brother's best friend's grave, and also his mother's grave. They were both long members of our church. I knew that his grave was diagonal to another couple's grave and I found that. Then I looked over and yet another church member's grave was right there beside them. That was five church members all within 20 steps of my grandmother's grave. When the spouses to some of these members cross over to Glory, there will be 9 members all buried within 20 feet of each other. I found this fascinating. All of these plots were purchased at different times and our area is no small town for this to be coincidental. God knew my grandmother LOVED our church and now her body is surrounded by church members and her soul is rejoicing with them in Heaven.

2 comments:

betty said...

and now your grandmother is waiting for your grandfather in a place where they will be together for eternity

a wonderful testimony to their love for each other for being together 72.5 years!

betty

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

72.5 years! That is so special! I'm glad that the church members graves brought you comfort, and I believe you're right, that's no coincidence.
Your grandmother is in very good company...my grandparents and a very special uncle are there...and of course, she gets to meet Jesus face to face. Thinking of that joy brings tears to my eyes!
Thinking of you today....