Saturday, February 7, 2009

Penny Pinching #1

Penny Pinching... I have been doing alot of that lately. I stopped buying my lunch out everyday. Do I pack my lunch, no. Our church is now a pick-up site for Angel Food Ministries. What is this you ask? Well here is the website for you to look into it yourself. http://www.angelfoodministries.com/

It is not just for poor people. I am not poor but I do not have extra money either. I break even, barely but never ahead. They also offer senior/ convenience meals. These are premade frozen entrees which are a step ahead of most TV dinners and more filling and nutritious. They are not just for seniors either. You get a 10 pack of meals plus 10 desserts ( this month was 10 moon pies and next month is 10 sets of 2 cookies)for $28. Yes folks, that is $2.80 a piece. That has become my lunch on most days. I supplement it with a veggie or salad from home. How has this saved me? Prior to this I was spending $5.50 to $8 a day on lunch, yes on lunch. That is $27.50 to $40 a week on lunch. I bought last month's meals. I know 10 does not cover me for a month but it does supplement me. I eat at least 2 a week. I still allow myself Subway or Chinese once a week. Wednesdays I travel a lot for deliveries so grab lunch on the go. This past week I bought lunch out both Monday and Tuesday. In two days I had spent over $10. I was astounded and mad at myself. I did not need to do that. I had the meals in the work freezer and let temptation win by eating out.

As for the other boxes that you can buy. You have to buy either the senior box or the regular box. The regular box has everyday food like mac and cheese, chicken, ribs, shelf-milk, eggs, I could go on and on. That box is only $30. Every month it changes. Then you have special boxes you can add on. This month we bought the fruit and veggie box. We got a head of cabbage, bag of onions, bag of sweet potatoes, bag of baking potatoes, bag of oranges ( they were awesome), 4 tangerines, 4 pears, 2 grapefruit, a pound of carrots and a half pound of pecans. That box was $21.

I highly encourage anyone struggling or just trying to save a buck to check into the facility near them. Our church is not listed yet because we are just starting. If you are in the area, you can email me and I will send you the specifics.

By the way this is not an advertisement because the church earns money. The church gets $1 for every box to help fray the costs of hosting the program. That's it. Just trying to give some penny pinching tips. Some of the people in our church that I thought would never get a box are and they keep reordering. I was shocked.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

my neighbor across the street has done that for a long time. I think it is a really good deal. Thanks for the penny pinching tips!